Slugs, snails & garden trails

Some people think it's odd; last night I was out doing the routine (every couple of nights) plant checking (after 11pm) to pick off any slugs, snails or a.n.other attackers of my various flowers, seeds or vegetables. I do this with a torch in one hand and small flower pot in the other. This reminded me of how neighbours from my last house thought it was a bit odd to see this torch bobbing around the garden late at night; they did eventually ask about it at one point, and soon understood the importance of this mollusc deterring technique and how it was an excellent viable alternative to using harmful slug pellets and/ or other chemicals.

Last night, I collected a couple of small pot-fulls of the unwanted. Deposited them off to an appropriate spot, where they should no longer be of threat to the garden; and, if they happen to make it back to the garden, fair play to them, they deserve a good feed!! 

Lilium mortagon

I was disappointed the other day to discover that one of stems of rhubarb had nearly been eaten clean through, along with one of the stems of my Lilium martagon (turk's cap lilies). As these shoots emerge, this is the most dangerous time for an attack by my leaf eating friends, where being munched now will do untold damage and almost certainly destroy the chances of flowers this years. If these new shoots get to a certain size, they can withstand an attack. This is why I do what I do. No matter what the flower or vegetable, if left unchecked, these guys and gals will munch their way just about through anything green, never mind your best annuals or perennials.

As I checked my recently transplanted broccoli plants, I noted that the ones I had scattered spent coffee beans around earlier yesterday had little or no slugs/ snails lurking around them, where as the other broccoli plants were withstanding an all-out assault! This was a top tip given to me a couple of years ago now and really does work a short-lived treat.

There are plenty more tips on this topic, that we'll discuss again. In the meantime, go on, have a go at hunting by torchlight, you'll be surprised at what you find and the new way your garden will appear. 

Posted from Blogium for iPhone


Comments