Potager update September 2016

With the evolvement of the vegetable garden over the past years, my decision to change to a potager style production garden has given me plenty of enjoyment, particularly this year, blending my interest in colour and usefulness of producing crops.


Now that we are very firmly in September, nearing the end of the first month of Autumn, with darkness setting in at 8pm, it seems appropriate to do an update on latest developments. Produce wise, I'm not going to bore you with loads of pictures of sun ripened tomatoes, tasty potatoes, juicy beetroots, sweet cucumbers, raspberries, strawberries and of course with all the flower colour there's been a bunch or two to bring in to the house. That's not to mention the sweetcorn, onions, peas, herbs and pumpkins to throw into the mix. And no, I'm not going to refer to the loganberries, gooseberries, black currents or rhubarb, just in case you're asking.

 
Lots of enjoyment, and lots of produce. 

As for the potager/ veg production garden, it's an area slowly evolving depending on the planning and resources we have from year to year. Currently the area is about 25ft x 45ft, and plenty of room to expand. With one of my secrets to enjoying gardening being not to over stretch to a point where it becomes hassle, I'm carefully considering if I might expand in 2017, and if so why.  


Work wise for this area, there is plenty to get on with. While I'm still harvesting some crops, there is lots of weeding, removing and composting dead and cut back foliage, clearing out spent crops, manuring or enriching soil, transplanting, cutting back, etc. And if any of you have some spare energy and time, let me know and you can help too ... Lol


For now though my next fun task is eyeing up the pumpkins for harvesting and carving. I also have to thank many of my social media friends for on-going advice, chats and helpful comments - míle buíochas. 

Happy gardening.

P.s. any thought on winter crops are always welcome. I'm trying microgreens and will let you know how I get on.



Comments