An enjoyable summer


Wow, what a busy year it's been since my last blog. I've had a lot of fun and tonnes of enjoyment in the potager, sowing and planting and weeding and watering and harvest and sowing and planting ... well you get the picture ... Lol


Speaking of harvest, since the early salad leaves there's been a tonne of stuff harvested. I've enjoyed my earliest tomatoes to date, harvesting the first miniature plum shaped ones on the 18th of June, and they've been regular cropping since then. I could rhyme off all the other crops, but I'm going to let the pictures speak for themselves. 



On the colour front in the potager, I've enjoyed the wallflowers and English marigolds in May, then the sweet William in June followed by Dahlias in July and August. It is a bit of work ensuring there is regular colour as some have to be held in pots until others finish, but I think it is very well worth the effort. 


I'm planning some colour to start the season off earlier next year, and debating if the sweet William were worth it, or am I better going for some late Tulips ... decisions decisions. 



As for the potager extension, this has been a great success. After all the heaving and hauling last autumn, there is now a decent crop of potatoes, onions, sweet corn, celery and parsley in place, along with some courgettes, mini gourds and butternut squash. 

Using the plastic over winter to smother out the weeds was really useful, and something I'll definitely do again. My source of cow manure is now gone, so I'll have to see what I can do about that. Nothing like well composted manure to enrich the soil and get things going and growing. 


I've recently sown some spring cabbage seeds, more lettuce, more spring onions, beetroot, spinach and pea seeds, for their delicious young shoots. 

Thanks for stopping by, in the meantime, I'm off to turn the compost heap and then I'll leave it settle for great compost next spring ...

Early morning August light over the potager area

Comments